Many cities have begun to offer a unique form of ride-sharing transportation. E-Scooters are a vehicle that an individual can pay to ride, leaving it at the destination for someone else to use. The nature of this kind of transportation can make legal cases involving E-Scooter accidents tricky to handle. You may have a case if you were part of an accident involving motorists, pedestrians, or E-Scooter malfunction. It is best to know exactly what to do before an accident occurs, so you can be ready to take the necessary steps in the moment. Learn more about your legal rights when involved in an E-Scooter Case.
What Evidence Should You Collect?
E-Scooter cases vary quite a bit. This means that the specific pieces of evidence that are most helpful depend on the specifics of the situation. In nearly all cases, the following evidence should always be gathered before leaving the scene.
- Police Reports – It is recommended that someone calls the police emergency number in the event of any accident, no matter how small it is. In some cases, the police will be too busy to respond, but it is always a good idea to call. If an officer does come, you should ask to receive a copy of the police report.
- The Scooter Information – Each scooter has a unique serial number. You should mark it down. This is a vital piece of information in all cases involving scooter malfunction. Although it is less vital in cases where the scooter suffered no damage, you should always get it to cover all your bases.
- Witness Statements – After confirming that no one is hurt, the first thing you should do is look around to see if any third parties witnessed the accident. If so, ask for their contact information so they can provide a statement. If the police are on their way, ask the witness to wait for the authorities to arrive. You should also get the contact information of those involved in the accident.
- Photographs – Take pictures of everything at the scene of the accident, including the scooter, other vehicles, injuries, intersections, stop lights, and anything else that may be involved.
- Medical Information – If you or anyone else has to receive medical treatment, keep backup copies of all medical information, including doctor’s reports and treatment bills.
There are lawyers who specialize in accident cases and even some who take on E-Scooter cases specifically. It is always wise to seek out a Newark personal injury lawyer, like from Rispoli & Borneo, P.C., who is knowledgeable in the specifics of your situation.